The Waterworks building and associated engineer’s cottage are located at the Museum of Transport and Technology, Auckland.
The Waterworks building, comprising an engine house and adjacent boiler house, was designed by William Errington and constructed in 1875. Its original purpose was to house a large beam engine that extracted water from the nearby Western Springs reservoir for use by the citizens of Auckland.
DPA Architects was commissioned to undertake a programme to repair, structurally upgrade and restore the buildings. The buildings are now a focal point and a visitor attraction at the Museum.