The former Newmarket Railway Station was one of a number of stations constructed as a part of a national rail network in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The station dates from 1908 and was designed by George Troup, the first official architect of the New Zealand Railway.
In 2008 the station was moved from its original Newmarket site where it has been in storage until recently.
DPA Architects worked with KiwiRail to relocate the former station to its current site in Parnell. After transporting the building in two halves, the station was craned into place and stitched back together. The restoration to the exterior could then begin in earnest. A new marseille tile roof, and brick slip chimney to the original details were reinstated.
The building was strengthened to receive the restored stanchions and the new verandah roofs laid over. The layout of the exterior joinery was rationalised, with some later fabric being removed and some new joinery to match the existing details was required to achieve a more original, but still functional, layout.
The station is operational with a single platform. The remaining platforms are due to begin construction in March 2018 and discussions are underway regarding the interior.