Rose Chapel (formerly St Mary’s Convent Chapel) in Christchurch was constructed in 1910 in an early English 13th Century Gothic architectural style. The building was designed by the Lutrell brothers and is constructed of Oamaru stone and Hoon Hay basalt.
The building was substantially damaged in the Canterbury earthquakes and DPA Architects was appointed as heritage architects for the restoration of the church.
Work involved the extensive reconstruction and strengthening of the primary gable end and the restoration of the circular stone window.
The original internal spiral staircase was damaged in the earthquakes and a suitable replacement spiral stair was acquired from another church.
Original decorative timber work was reinstated over new concrete walls and new interior timber panelling was replicated to match the original.